Full Page History:
Oldest known version of this page was edited on 2005-05-22 09:23:02 by Jakub81
[removed instructions for 7.5 preview1/2]
Removing the Communications Client (M2 - email, chat, news, RSS) from Opera
disclaimer: I personally don't see any need to remove the communication client, it is tiny and does not 'bloat' Opera in any tangible way (contrary to uninformed opinion), and you may even start using and liking it. People seem to have become, somewhat justifiably, over-sensitive to 'bloat'. I absolutely agree that software that includes too many functions overreaches it's purpose. M2 is a ~200kb client that is dynamically loaded - it does not enter that league. If you don't set up a mail account, then Opera doesn't even load that mail client, causing no bloat whatsoever. However user choice is paramount, and because of Opera’s great flexibility, it is very easy to disengage the mail client from the browser. Here is the information to do it.
Note that these instructions below applies to V7.23 and earlier, see the bottom of this page for V7.5x notes.
If you haven't yet started on the road to customising Opera, you may just learn some valuble general techniques along the way too, see EditingINIFiles for more technical information on Opera's extensive customisability.
Make sure you have set: Preferences » E-Mail to 'Use default email client on computer' before you start...
Steps to Remove the Email client:
- Activate the hotlist (F4), right-click over the panel selectors, and turn off the Mail and Contacts panels.
- Download the following files (they will auto-install in Opera): The Standard Menus Minus Mail | The Toolbars Minus Mail | Key Commands Minus Mail
- Close Opera immediately without making any other changes.
- The ~200Kb m2.dll in the Opera program directory provides ALL the functionality of the email / news client. To remove it (make sure Opera is still closed), simply rename m2.dll to m2.dlz (or delete it if you are REALLY allergic!).
- Start Opera. Shake, Stir and enjoy the pure browsing experience.
Steps to "Reinstall" the Email client:
- Rename m2.dlz back to m2.dll, then start Opera.
- Go to Preferences » Toolbars and menus and select the options "Opera Standard" for both toolbars and menus. Then go to Mouse and keyboard and select "Opera Standard" for the keyboard settings.
- Close and Restart Opera immediately. You are now back to integrated heaven. Somewhat easier than trying to remove OE from windows or MozillaMail? from Mozilla huh?
Removing M2 in 7.5x
Go to [Preferences > Programs and paths] and uncheck "Enable mail and chat".