Fixed UI Features in Opera 7
Fixed in build 3798
- The option to add favicons to bookmarks, so that for example custom hotlist panels can have unique icons. These icons could be stored locally.
- Make it optional to double click to expand folders in the Hotlist Panel. The current single click without concomitant hover-select is not very user-friendly. This is kind of solved in V7.1 if you use split view.
- A way to turn off image dragging. If you are a Random Clicker like I am, you tend to unintentionally drag images a little, which causes them to load instead of the current page.
- When there is only a single page in the Opera window, the page bar should (optionally) hide itself.
- M2 : A visual indication that new mail has arrived. This need not be a systray item: it could also be shown by a colour change of the 'mail' button on the mainbar, or better yet, display the numbers of unread mails somewhere permanent (like the mail button).
- When calling 'Help' from the Preferencs dialog, a new Opera workspace is opened, regardless of how preferences are set (don't think it's bug - it's a feature).
Fixed in build 3144
- Full customisation/control of page tabs with mouse gestures & commands. Currently only close page seems to work, but things like refresh don't. I think this has to do with the fact that many commands work on the active page, and so don't work when you perform them in an 'inactive' page. This should be changed so it works properly, and the gestures customisation dialog should allow tabs to be targetted.
- There is a "Window"-panel in the hotlist (currently quite useless). Opera should add functionality to select a few windows and apply commands to all of them ( e.g. tile, minimize, maximize, close, bookmark, save as session), needs to also support drag-n-drop between windows (I know I can do it with page tabs, but...)
- M2 : Choosing what column to sort by. This is remembered for each accesspoint when you go back and forth between the different accesspoints, but it is lost when Opera is restarted.
- M2 : Clicking the 'To', 'CC', or 'BCC' buttons should give you the contacts drop-down list, so you can select contacts.
- Buttons with a toggle state always take the state of the active window, across the entire Opera7 workspace. This is valid for the image, style, and print preview buttons.
- If the status field is placed inside the main GUI (for example in the statusbar), it only works for the active window. When browsing in MDI mode, hovering the mouse over links in an inactive window displays nothing in the status field. It does work correctly when the status field is placed inside the MDI window, eg the navigationbar or addressbar.
- Occasionally, images are stretched to the width of the 'alt text' (or [IMAGE]) box.
- "Find in page", and the "Find" dialog, ignore spaces. Searching for "this" will also match in here: 'what his'.
Fixed in Build 2840
- Have the status bar display the URLs of the the bookmarks (even the ones in the personal bar) that the mouse hovers over. (Like in opera 6).
- Put tooltips on A)page tabs (the full page title) B)hotlist bookmarks (URL/description) &mdash also have this information appearing in the statusbar. Simple but effective tweak of the UI.
- Wand Manager, with ability to turn it off completely. (wand can actually be turned off, see Opera7Tips)
- Cookie manager - should be really quick and simple to do. I know we have external tools for this, but this really is something that should be built-in.
- Input.ini editor - we should not have to edit the file manually.
- Active Folder. We know this was a 'hack' to work around limitations in Opera 6 (as Haavard posted in this thread at the Opera forums), but it is nevertheless missed.
- Page tiling as in Opera 6 (only normal windows, and not minimised windows, should be tiled).
- Full sorting capabilities for bookmarks. [almost fixed in final — but hotlist settings are not carried to bookmark menu]
- Split pane/Dual Windows/Folder Tree option in bookmarks hotlist panel (like Opera 6).
- The "Confirm exit" opion does not work. The corresponding dialog is never shown, regardless of the setting in Preferences -> Start and exit.
- Downloading a skin in Opera 7 blocks browser untill download has finished (but you can still use some hotkeys). A workaround is to open a new SDI window with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+N.
- In the skin dialog, no skin is selected, if you have not changed it during this Opera session.
- Adding or deleting a search engine from the personal bar adds 28 new (blank) search engines to search.ini every time.